Learn to Freedive at Pompano Dive Center
Freediving is the sport of breath hold diving in which the freediver descends under water on a single breath of air. Freediving includes leisure activities such as spearfishing and snorkeling as well as promoting increased lung capacity.
Freediving Instructors International (F.I.I) is one of the most widely respected and rapidly growing freediving educational programs across the globe. F.I.I prides itself on catering our programs to all levels: from the fascinated beginner to the dedicated professional.
The Freediving Instructors International (F.I.I.) courses are designed in a comprehensive format, specifically targeting safety and self improvement.
FII courses offer its students the opportunity to become certified to the particular level they are taking. To pass FII courses, students are required to master certain skills and academics taught throughout the course. On becoming certified, students receive a c-card and course certificate.
FII courses are not performance based, through experience we have learned that when the correct skills and academics have been properly mastered the performance follows. FII and Pompano Dive Center strongly believe in keeping your newly attained information current and offers opportunities for depth and pool training on a regular basis.
Level 1 Freediver Overview:
Interested in becoming a freediver but not sure where to begin? Are you wanting to join the thousands of others venturing beneath the sea? This is your first step! The F.I.I. Level 1 is a 2 day course designed to introduce you to the basic skills required to become comfortable and at ease with breath-hold activity. You will learn about freediving specific equipment, basic equalization techniques and freediving safety protocols and more.
- Level 1 Safety & Problem Management for Freediving
- Level 1 Static Apnea Technique Development
- Level 1 Confined Water Rescue and Buddy Supervision Techniques
- Introduction to Freediving Specific Equipment
- Basic Physics and Physiology for the Level 1 Freediver
- Freediving Technique Development
- Correct Breathing for Freediving
- Equalization Techniques for the Level 1 Freediver
- Open Water Rescue Skills, Buddy Supervision and Self Evaluation
Participants will be encouraged to take a 30 minute test on course completion to gain Level 1 certification card. This is required to advance in further freediving training.
Level 1 Freediving Equipment:
F.I.I. will supply all of the big equipment for open ocean sessions and pool training. No need to bring floats or rig equipment.
Please be sure to bring the items listed below:
- Mask - a low volume freediving mask is preferable for all classes
- Long Blade Freediving Fins or Snorkel fins
- Freediving Wetsuit - a 3mm is suitable for year round temperatures in Florida.
- Weights - please have some small weights (1-2 lb.) so you can adjust your buoyancy, we have these available for use free of charge
- Weight belt- rubber weight belts are preferable for all classes
- Freediving Computer/or Timing Device - we highly recommend a freediving computer.
All items are available for purchase at Pompano Dive Center. Feel free to stop by the shop prior to your course to pick up your gear!
Level 2 Freediver:
Are you already comfortable in the water holding your breath? Maybe you're looking to extend your bottom time, or go deeper? During this rewarding four day intermediate level course, participants are introduced to specialized freediving techniques that are then utilized in closely supervised open ocean training sessions. This course is ideal for spearfishermen, scuba divers and freedivers already confident in the water.